How to Enable Screen Recordings on your iOS Device with iOS11 (and beyond)
There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to show something to your team or explain an issue to our support team. Especially if it’s something that’s hard to replicate or put into words.
Fortunately there is a new feature in Apple’s™ iOS11 that can help make that process much easier. iOS11 now allows you to screen capture video from your iPad, iPhone, etc. Meaning that you can capture yourself doing whatever it is that you want to demonstrate or is causing you grief. Then you can share that with your team or send to our Support Team. The old adage “a picture’s worth a 1,000 words” has never been more true, and now it’s really easy to do – no special software or apps needed – it’s built right into the operating system.
Setting up your iOS device to record:
- Launch the Settings app in iOS11
- Tap on the Control Center
- Tap on Customize Controls
- Scroll down and find Screen Recording, and tap the “+” plus sign. This will move it up to the top of the list and put a “–” minus sign next to it.
Now your ready to record your screen.
To record your iOS device’s screen in iOS11:
- Open up the Control Center from the home screen (or whatever app you’re currently in) by swiping up from the bottom. Obviously if you’re trying to document an issue with CropTrak, have that app running in the background while you set your iPad to record. Its OK if you start from the home screen, it’ll just make your “video” longer as you have to open CropTrak before you can document your issue. Longer recording = bigger file…
- Tap the Screen Recording button – it looks like a big dot within a circle and changes from white to red when recording.By default, screen recordings will also record any in-app music and sounds while video recording. However, if you want your screen recording to record your voice, simply perform a long press or 3D Touch on the control tile to open its very own control window, then tap on the mic icon on the bottom to toggle audio on or off before you start recording. You can also tap “Start Recording” from this window to start recording, too.
- Exit the Control Center by swiping it back down, or tapping the down-facing arrow at the top of the screen.
- Go to the CropTrak app and complete the steps that show the issue you experiencing. If you’ve enabled the microphone in #2 above, you can also talk while your documenting your issue – again more information is better than less.
- When you’re done documenting that issue, swipe back up to open the Control Center and tap on the blinking red record button to end recording.
To send your screen recording to CropTrak Support:
- Your screen recording will be located in your Photos app.
- Tap on the image of the recording and you will open a dialog box that allows you to choose how you send the file to our Support Team.
- Tap on the Mail icon if you want to attach the recording to an email to Support@CropTrak.com. You may also attach any file less than 15MB to the online help system.
Want More Information?
We’ve documented all this information along with screen grabs of every step of the process in a dedicated article on our support portal.